Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Trying to stay motivated


I have a lot of projects on the go which are going to take a LOT of time, and I have been feeling a bit unenthusiastic for the last few months. I'm having some 'extra' health issues, so I would guess that a lot of the problem is tiredness. 

Feeling overwhelmed and directionless, or unmotivated, seems to be a very common issue for makers, especially since the start of the Pandemic. It is a theme that keeps coming up again and again in conversations and Zoom chats with other SCA people. The way I am minimising it is:

1. Make a list of to-do items (so you don't forget anything) and then stop thinking about your project(s). Put it on your list or in your workbook and get it out of your head. If you are at a loss for a project to do (it could happen, I guess!) get out your list or book  and pick a project that fits your time frame or energy levels. (I also list ideas and plans for future projects in my project planner.)

2. Keep plodding along. Do a little bit every day, even if it is only five or ten minutes to get into the habit of making A&S a daily priority. Whittle it away gradually. One day you will realise how much you have achieved and you will be able to enjoy the enthusiasm of that downhill run to a completed project.

Some people find that joining online groups of like-minded people can help keep them motivated because there is an element of accountability. Others find that it makes them feel guilty if they don't achieve what they wanted and have to announce it to the group. Do what works for you and helps you feel good about what you are doing.

I found this image on one of my feeds and cropped it to show the numbers. I've stuck it up on my wall as a reminder to myself to stop procrastinating:



No comments:

Post a Comment