Monday, February 29, 2016

Device Banner Project - Red Hart Device

Another banner device ticked off the list. Like most that I have done, it is made of felt and uses applique and embroidery techniques. The felt is wool felt, and I have used DMC cotton floss, DMC perle floss, and a faceted glass bead for the eye.

Stitches include whip stitch, split stitch, chain stitch, satin stitch and stem stitch.

I marked the triskellion design in Frixion brand marker, then worked them in chain stitch. Then I went over the top of the chain stitch with satin stitch. This gives a nice raised effect.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Banner Device Project- White Dragon Device

Here is a recently completed device for our Baronial device banner project. It is made of wool felt, and has embroidery, silver cord and applique. Stitches include couching, whip, stem, chain and split stitch. The eye is made from a red glass bead. DMC cotton floss, rayon floss and cotton crochet thread have been used.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Cutting linen for new chemise project

I have recently started a new project: to make a chemise for a friend. I am not sure if I have shared this before, but I know a great trick to make cutting linen evenly very easy.

Measure up your panels, and then carefully lift a thread at your cutting line. Cut the thread and pull it to create an even cutting line. The thread may break before you can pull the whole lot up; just find the broken end and keep pulling.

When you have finished pulling the thread out, you will have a perfectly even cutting line in your linen to follow!

This chemise will be entirely hand sewn. I am making it out of rectangles and squares. The underarm gussets are small squares, and the body panels and arm panels are large rectangles. The neckline and wrist holes will be gathered into embroidered bands.

Baroness Linet atte Falcon's Nest has kindly offered to help me by hand hemming the body panels. I have hemmed the gussets.

The hem is just the edge turned over twice and stitched down with tiny stitches. I aim to join the pieces together with a decorative insertion stitch. The neck and wrist holes will be gathered into the embroidered bands (once the bands are complete!)

Friday, February 5, 2016

A Child's Renaissance Dress in the Italian Style

Gosh this is an old one from 2014, and I honestly can't remember if I blogged it or not. I am notoriously bad at blogging dress diaries; it seems to be almost like reliving the trauma of sewing! This one was made for a five year old and was made from purple and red cotton (Mummy's favourite colours!) The bodice is lined in calico but there is no interlining or stiffening. The skirt is cartridge pleated. The alternating colours continue on the back of the dress. Hand sewn eyelets are laced with lucet cord made by Heather (thank you!) I put a few tucks in the hem to allow for the wearer's rapid growth. Thank you for your help with the tucks Lady Sorcha.

I must admit that little girl's dresses are much less traumatic to make than "big girl's" dresses. This dress looks lovely on the recipient and she seems to like it. Her Mummy certainly likes the colours. The tucks stiffen the hem and make it stand out beautifully.