Sunday, March 29, 2020

Productivity In The Time of Covid

We are living in strange and frightening times. For the last fortnight I have been in isolation except for essential medical appointments because I am especially vulnerable to infection. I am regularly house-bound because of illness, but this is something different. Usually I suffer terribly from FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) because I am isolated and sick and everyone else is out having fun. All Lochac face-to-face SCA activities have been suspended, so all my friends are now missing out too. Everyone is feeling sad and anxious. Anticipatory grief is a real thing.
My doctors are also playing around with my medication which is affecting my mood, pain levels and blood pressure. Plus a family friend died unexpectedly this week, which was a horrible shock.

I have been feeling low as well as guilty because I feel like I should be counting my blessings and making the most of this time, and I really haven't managed to get anything much done. So many talented people posting tutorials and pictures of completed items online and I am struggling to get the basic stuff like dishes and washing done.

An SCA friend sent me a meme today that really helped. It said something to the effect of "It's OK to NOT be at your most productive during a global pandemic!" Obvious stuff, when it is put like that, but I was so caught up in feeling bad about wasting time that I hadn't thought about it logically.
So if you are feeling the same, please be kind to yourself. It's only natural to be anxious and feel uncertain during a pandemic! Follow health guidelines, stay safe, and do whatever you need to do to get through this time.



With thanks to Violet for the right meme at the right time
And thanks to Cathy for the supportive words and the great title.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks. Let's all try to be kind to ourselves and each other so that Productivity in the Time of Covid will have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete