Monday, March 2, 2020

A recipe for Hirchones or Yrchouns - Hedgehog Meatballs

This is a fun recipe that I have made many times. Kids and adults alike get a kick out of these spiky little meatballs.

The original recipe is from Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks c 1430-1450  (Harleian MS 279)
http://www.archive.org/stream/twofifteenthcent00aust/twofifteenthcent00aust_djvu.txt
https://quod.lib.umich.edu/c/cme/CookBk?rgn=main;view=fulltext

YRCHOUNS

Take Piggis mawys, & skalde hem wel; take groundyn Porke, & knede it with Spicerye, with pouder Gyngere, & Salt & Sugre; do it on þe mawe, but fille it nowt to fulle; þen sewe hem with a fayre þrede, & putte hem in a Spete as men don piggys; take blaunchid Almaundys, & kerf hem long, smal, & scharpe, & frye hem in grece & sugre; take a litel prycke, & prykke þe yrchons, An putte in þe holes þe Almaundys, every hole half, & eche fro oþer; ley hem þen to þe fyre; when þey ben rostid, dore hem sum wyth [leaf 30 bk.] Whete Flowre, & mylke of Almaundys, sum grene, sum blake with Blode, & lat hem nowt browne to moche, & serue forth.

My Recipe
Several of the people in my SCA group don't like pork, so I used beef this time around. (I find using pork results in a tastier, more moist meatball.) I omitted the pig stomach due to modern sensibilities. I used raisins cut in half instead of currants because they were what I had to hand. I decided not to colour the hedgehogs; I like them brown.

1.5 Kg beef mince
1.5 tsp ginger
1.5 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
50 slivered almonds
raisins cut in half

I added spices to the mince mixture and worked it with my hands until it became very sticky. I shaped the mixture into oval 'hedgehog' shapes and added raisin pieces for eyes. I studded the balls with almond 'spines'. In the past I have pre-toasted the almonds, and they get a bit over-browned in the oven. This time I left them un-toasted and stuck them in the meatballs. Use your own judgement based on your oven.
I cooked the meatballs in a moderate oven (180 degrees C) on a lightly greased tray for 20 mins until brown.

Some of the comments I received included:
"The texture of the beef worked nicely, but more spice would be appreciated. Otherwise fabulous."
"I liked the crispy almonds and the raisins were a delightful addition to the flavour"
"Was a little dry but was well spiced and seasoned"

Adjust the spices to your (and your audience's taste). If I make these for my family or people I don't know, I use small amounts of spice. People who are used to medieval food will probably want more spice. I have also experimented with the texture of the mince. Mince from the supermarket tends to be quite coarse, but if you can get finely ground mince it produces a remarkably different texture and mouth-feel in the finished meatball. I have even tried these with chicken mince.

No comments:

Post a Comment