Monday, March 7, 2022

Italian Tie-On Sleeves Made From A Thrifted Green Sari Skirt

I finished a pair of sleeves that was sitting in my UnFinished Objects pile.

This pair has not been waiting to be finished as long as some others in the pile. (I only started them in 2021.) I picked up a pretty skirt made out of sari fabric at an op shop and thought it would made a nice pair of sleeves. The skirt was child size so there was some careful unpicking and placing to be done. 

I used my trusty pattern which makes a roomy and comfortable sleeve. Placement was key to try and get best use from the fabric and make sure the motifs were all going in the same direction.
Luckily, I have a great helper!
Edges were zigzag stitched on the machine and the seams ironed open and tacked down. Linings were given the same treatment.
The sleeve and lining was sewn wrong side out then I clipped the corners and turned the right sides out.
I whip stitched around the top of the sleeve head to stop the lining pulling to the outside over time as a bit of pressure is put on the sleeve head from the lacing.
I turned the hem under at the wrist and secured it with tiny stab stitches.
Then I folded the lining hem under and hand sewed it in place.
Finally, I added five eyelet holes at the top of each sleeve so it can be tied into place.
The finished sleeves. I am pleased with how these turned out. I only *just* had enough fabric to get sleeves out of the skirt. The gilt thread in the motif makes the sleeves look quite opulent. I don't expect that they will be the most durable sleeves ever, but they sure are pretty.




No comments:

Post a Comment