The design is traced onto calico that has been reinforced with iron on interfacing. I started in the middle of the design and worked out to try and keep the tension even.
The embroidery is split stitch worked in wool. The weasel (meerkat) features and chevron outline are also worked in split stitch but I used a fine crochet cotton.
I rinsed the completed piece, and when it had dried a little I stretched out any tight patches using a hot steam iron on the back of the damp piece.
I trimmed the excess calico away leaving about 1.5cm around the edge.
I roughly sewed down the edges of the calico to the back of the piece.
Next I couched some silver gilt cord around the edge.
Finally I whipped a piece of felt onto the back to cover the stitching.