Saturday, October 6, 2018

Tackling UFOs - A Split Stitch Heraldic Napkin

I've been trying to keep myself  distracted with small projects that keep me busy but don't really matter. I have  a lot of work to do for other people at the moment, but don't really trust myself to do a good job.... so out comes the huge pile of Un Finished Objects (UFOs).

This is a simple commercially produced cotton napkin I picked up in a thrift shop somewhere. I tend to buy a lot of them when they are really cheap because they are so handy for events; wiping hands, covering food and cups etc. I never seem to have enough.

Embroidering versions of my device looks a bit nicer than just putting my name on the napkins, and I think contributes a bit to the over-all feel of the event.

I usually just trace a version of my device onto the cloth with a Frixion removable marker over a window or other light source, then embroider round the design in the stitch of choice. I like a small hoop because it is easy to use on the go or in front of the TV and keeps the tension even. I tend to prefer split stitch (as with this one) because it gives a nice even line, good coverage and goes around corners well. Here I have used two strands of DMC cotton floss for budget reasons. Silk would be a very nice alternative and is more authentic for the period. Similarly, a hand hemmed linen cloth would be more accurate for a sixteenth century noble lady.

Another one done and ready to add to the pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment