Sunday, February 17, 2013

Scribal Meeting

I have been thinking about getting involved in my local SCA scribal group for quite a long time. Recently, the meetings were moved closer to my house, and so yesterday I took the opportunity to go to my first meeting. It was very interesting and exciting. I think that calligraphy is a bit beyond my skills at this stage, but I am excited about trying the illumination. The process seems very similar to the design process for embroideries, which I really enjoy. It was a lot of fun to really look closely at the pictures of manuscripts and enjoy the imaginations of those old scribes. This one below really took my fancy:


It illustrates the old riddle about the man trying to get his turnips, his lamb and a wolf across a river in the boat without anyone getting eaten. This is from the thirteenth century- early fourteenth century Ormesby Psalter -
http://ductus.asu.edu/Files/ductus/scriptorium/plates/D-005.html

4 comments:

  1. Don't let calligraphy intimidate you! Just use some scrap paper and practice a hand you like. Get some tips from a local if you can, but if not, feel free to check out the handouts on my blog on basic calligraphy. It's not as hard as it seems, it just takes practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your advice. I am definitely going to have a look at your blog. Do you have a direct link?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to see you there! Hopefully we will have you creating things soon!!!

    ReplyDelete