Thursday, July 26, 2018

Partlet Embroidered with a Design of Grotesques

Adding to my pile of unfinished projects, I started a new partlet recently.

I am running an A&S Pentathlon challenge in my Barony to encourage people to get involved in the arts and sciences and to learn new skills. One of the challenges involves monsters and grotesques. I decided to make a partlet decorated with grotesques for this challenge. I love monsters and grotesques - they are my favourite things to paint for Scribes - and I would love to have a wardrobe full of coifs, partlets and camicias decorated with them. I thought these little snake-dragon wyrms were pretty cute.








The design for the embroidery


The partlet cut out with shoulder seams sewn and hems being tacked down.

Normally, I would embroider my fabric first, and then cut out the panels, but with my partlets, I will often do it the other way around. I make up the partlet pattern first, and either finish or tack the seams down. Then I mark out the design, often with a frixion or removable ink pen. (Or a pencil if I am feeling confident.) When one side is embroidered, I trace the embroidery in reverse on the other side so that the placement is a mirror image. This matters less on a chemise or coif, but is important on a partlet where both sides are up ''front and centre'' so to speak, and very visible.

 
One side of the design marked out

The design is from Thomas Trevelyon's Miscellany manuscript of 1608. These strange snake-dragon like creatures are a reccuring theme in modelbuchs and design books of the previous century, and are very common in Italian and German artworks and embroideries. I had  to change the design slightly to allow for the slight curve in the front of the partlet. I plan to work this design in a flat gold split stitch, probably using only one thread as an outline for a finer finished look. I'll let you  know how it goes.


Image from: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/390546598932945248/

The manuscript can be accessed here: https://www.wdl.org/es/item/11292/#q=thomas+trevelyon+miscellany+1608

No comments:

Post a Comment