Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Embroidered Collar and Cuffs with Pony Detail for a Knighting Gift

Last year I was honoured to attend the elevation of a friend to the Chivalry. I wanted to make a small gift as a memento of the occasion. I decided that embroidered collar and cuff panels for a shirt would be appropriate.

I based my design on a band from the Trevelyon Miscellany(1608); a modelbuch for artists which has a breathtaking array of designs just crying out to be embroidered. I copied the design, and simplified it as well as adding in pony's heads - an element of the recipient's heraldry. I traced the design out onto tracing paper. I photocopied the design and reduced it in size so that the same basic design was used for collar and cuffs (but smaller in size on the cuffs). I then modified the design slightly so that it would fit into the size panel required to go around the wrist.
I traced the design onto my base fabric using a window as a light source and a Frixion marker.
The base fabric is linen and the embroidery worked in Guterman silk in split stitch.
Sometimes you just need to take a break and rest the eyes and re-energise! 
The project was a little challenging as I was on a strict time deadline and I was still having issues with my wrist and hand from the injury in Nov 2018 and my underlying health problems. My stitching is not as fine or as accurate as I would like, which is disappointing. It also took at least twice as long as my usual slow pace.
I love designing embroideries, but I think my favourite moment is when the marker is ironed away and the stitches remain.
The finished piece. I left it in a single panel so that the pieces cannot be lost until it is made up into a garment, and because people make shirts slightly differently and I wanted to allow plenty of fabric for turning under. (Base fabric is zigzag stitched on the edges for durability until it is cut into panels.)

I also can't recommend Modelbuch Muse enough - it is a wonderful information base relating to Renaissance dress as well as lovely embroidery designs to try: https://www.facebook.com/modelbuchmuse/

Portrait photo credits: S.J. Taylor - many thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, such a handsome pattern and it turned out so well. Best with healing the hand injury...how slowly iso often seems to go. (Voice of experience, as I have multiple chronic illnesses and annoying injuries).

    Very best and back to lurker-land,

    Natalie in KY usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Natalie! I hope that the US winter is not making your health issues worse. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete