Friday, January 17, 2020

A time of reflection...

I hope that you all had a happy and productive festive season and (hopefully) a nice break. Here in Australia, December is the end of the school and college/university year, and many businesses close over Christmas to give their employees annual leave. It can be a strange time of year if you get to enjoy the break. It also tends to be a reflective time for me; time to think about the year that has passed and to start making plans for the new one.

This particular Christmas break has been less festive than usual due to the terrible bushfires ravaging many parts of Australia. I am lucky to have only been impacted by mild smoke and this time didn't even have to pack the car in preparation to evacuate. However, many friends have lost homes and belongings. As a former wildlife carer, the knowledge of what the wildlife has suffered and the impact on ecosystems is just devastating, and events have certainly impacted the mood of most people that I know.

I have been surprisingly unproductive over the break, even for me! Last year was horrible for me in relation to my health, and my responsibilities and obligations have been weighing heavily on me of late (as well as current affairs). I did a lot of planning and researching, but not much actual sewing or crafting. It was actually good to take a break.

As usual, I have an almost never-ending list of projects that I want to start, or things that are waiting to be finished. I am prioritising things for other people, and I am very aware that there are a lot of projects waiting to be blogged.

I got some lovely Christmas gifts, which made me feel very spoiled. I collect acrylic and enamel brooches and pins, and I got some of those. I also got some books and fabric, so I was very very happy. (Honestly, just being safe and enjoying good food and friends and family would have been enough, given what so many Aussies are going through at the moment.)

I got this book for Christmas, and I am looking forward to continuing my cord making experiments during the year.



2 comments:

  1. We are thinking of you all in Australia. Our newspaper reported on local people who haeve made nests and carriers for rescued Australian animals, until told that the country had enough of them. It hurts to hear about the scarred and suffering areas.

    Here the mood is reflective and nervous. Our country is divided and feeling floods and droughts as well, and I've noted an increase in kindness among strangers, and many more people re-using grocery bags and eating plant foods, based on trips to the grocery store.

    Praying that the fires will end, and that your health improves. Have read your blog for many months now.

    Sincerely,
    Natalie in KY US

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Natalie. I have seen news reports of terrible weather events in the US and other countries; so many people and animals are suffering. A bright point in all the darkness is the influx of support and items from other countries. We also have been lucky to have firefighters from other places helping us here and we are very grateful.

    ReplyDelete