Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Pelican Elevation and Vigil

 I haven't posted in almost a month because I have been frantically sewing for my elevation to the SCA Order of the Pelican. I'm delighted to report that the elevation took place on Saturday 29 June, and I actually had new clothes to wear, if not the clothing that I had originally planned!

My vigil had been planned for during the day prior to the feast. A tournament had been planned, but the day before a severe weather warning was issued which meant the tourney was cancelled. Luckily my friends stepped in at the last minute and generously offered their home as a venue. Thank you to Sorcha, Federyc, Linet, Margueritte, Nicolette, Melodia, Steffan, Sharyn and Kate for the venue, foods and all the help and support. The vigil was much smaller than planned due to the last minute change of venue, but did mean that it had more of a party feel and that certainly helped calm my nerves.
Trying out a selfie-stick at the vigil
Sparkly gingerbread biscuits


I had a really nice time at the vigil, and got to relax with friends for a bit before the feast. The time went too fast, and soon we were all departing to get to the feast venue.

The venue was beautifully decorated, and many people that I had not seen for years came to the feast. We were celebrating a Baronial changeover, so it was great to see many guests including past Barons and Baronesses and past Princesses and Princes. The only downside was that I hardly got a chance to chat with anyone because I was organising things, and I also had no appetite due to nerves. Innilgard is renowned for it's feasts and brewing, so this really was a pity.

One of the tables at the feast
The ceremony itself was written for me by talented local herald, previous Landed Baroness of Innilgard and friend, Baroness Annys. She and Lord Gabriel acted as heralds during the ceremony, and friends who are members of the five Peerage Orders spoke words that were very touching and truly humbling. I was honoured to be elevated by a Crown that I truly respect and who endeavour to live out the knightly virtues in their mundane lives as well as their SCA lives. I have never felt so supported and valued by so many people; it was overwhelming and wonderful.
Me cloaked in the Lochac Pelicans' cloak made by the Lochac Worshipful Company of Broderers
Image credit: S. Greig


My friends and banner bearers who helped me so much in the lead up to the event

Being welcomed to the Order by the Crown

Standing with the members of the Order of the Pelican
My heartfelt thanks to everyone near and far who helped, offered support and advice and just sent nice wishes. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your elevation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so incredibly happy for you and so proud of you.
    It was so wonderful to be able to be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your presence meant so much! Thank you for coming so far to be a part of my special day!

    ReplyDelete