Sunday, January 14, 2018

Quarterly Hat Challenge

In the last couple of years I have been involved with two challenges that I have found to be great sources of motivation and inspiration. The first was the  Camino del Noble Pilgrimage Challenge, which focused on developing many aspects of one's persona and SCA game. It was a great challenge and I am still focusing on many of the aspects of the challenge because I didn't quite achieve everything that I hoped in the time frame I gave myself (- story of my life!)

The other was the A&S Century challenge, where one does a minimum of ten minutes of work on an aspect of SCA every day for one hundred days. This challenge was much easier for me because I was already in this habit anyway. Because of my health issues, I usually can only work on things for short amounts of time, so very short bursts of input on a regular basis is what works for me. I have to budget my energy to accomplish even small things. The real benefit and challenge to me from the A&S Challenge was getting into the habit of taking project progress photos and writing up (at least basic) notes on projects. This is a habit I could use help in getting back into; I hate the write up after the last stitch is done.

The new challenge for 2018 is the Quarterly Hat Challenge: make one item of headwear every three months. I am hoping that I will be able to achieve this goal. There is no set level of complexity, so at the very least I hope to complete some cauls that I have had cut out for quite a while. I would like to attempt something a little more complex and interesting, but I am not making any promises to myself. Cauls are practical, manageable on high pain days, fun to decorate and easy to store.

Some styles of headwear that I would love to make in the future:

Portrait of Bianca Maria Sforza - Attributed to Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis c. 1493
Image from: https://bjws.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/portraits-of-women-attributed-to.html


Portrait of Isabella of Naples, Duchess of Milan by Giovanni Antonio Boltraffio 
Image from: http://jeannedepompadour.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/house-of-sforza-muzio-attendolo-sforza.html?m=1



Portrait of A Lady  - Attributed to Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis  1490
Image from: https://bjws.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/portraits-of-women-attributed-to.html


Portrait of a Lady in Profile by  Bernardino dei Conti
From: http://www.artnet.com/artists/bernardino-dei-conti/portrait-de-jeune-femme-de-profil-%C3%A0-la-coiffure-0UH8PP-XqNpF-F2FIm_qyg2


Portrait of Bianca Sforza c.1500
Image from: http://jeannedepompadour.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/house-of-sforza-muzio-attendolo-sforza.html?m=1


Portrait of a Lady-- Attributed to Domenico Puligo
Image from: http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20016/lot/51/

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, that would be wonderful! Will you describe how you made each piece of headwear on the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I will endeavour to do more and better write-ups this year rather than just posting pictures

    ReplyDelete