Sunday, April 7, 2013

Inferior sewing thread and motherly advice

Anyone who learnt how to sew from their mother or grandmother has probably been told not to waste time on poor quality thread. Up until the last fortnight, I have been extremely lucky with budget threads and I have not had a problem with them. I have been hand sewing my lovely sparkly trim onto the blue drill dress with a roll of thread that was tucked into my thread box. I must never have used the thread before because it is absolutely awful and proves that all that motherly advice was true! It breaks, it twists into lumps, it will not sit flat no matter how hard you tug on it and generally makes the project much more difficult than it needs to be. I bought some Gutermann thread to replace it, and what a relief! Although I really don't enjoy machine sewing, I quite like hand sewing, and good quality thread makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment