I have continued working on the blue drill dress since my last post. As many of you know, I have health issues that involve pain, fatigue and 'brain fog'. Well, the brain fog struck again this week. Over the last few days I have been hand sewing trim onto the dress, sewing skirt panels and grading the slope on the front panels to accommodate the point of the bodice.
Last night I was feeling quite satisfied with what I had done and was getting ready to start sewing the last piece of trim onto the skirt. As I was looking at the last panel, I noticed something odd in the way the light was hitting the fabric. It took me about a minute to realise that I had sewn the final panel on back-to-front. I was horrified, because not only were all the seams pressed open and the edges finished, but I had trimmed the top of the panel to allow for the bodice point. These sorts of things happen to me so often that I am well beyond the stage of bursting into tears. Usually, there is just a very resigned sigh and an extended internal monologue about how much I hate sewing and how bad I am at it!
Needless to say, I spent my leisure time today unpicking, and re-doing the last two days worth of work, hopefully right side out! I have my fingers crossed that there will still be enough hem left to fold up when the dress is hemmed. I had hoped to be able to put a tuck in around the base of the dress, but this error has ruled that idea out. I really do believe in the "measure twice, cut once" rule, and use it. Because I suffer so much from fatigue I am actually very careful about double checking what I do, but these mistakes slip through.
Over the next few days I will be pleating on the skirt, and then I can try it on and get an idea of where I stand regarding the hem length. Hopefully it will all work out!