Thursday, March 23, 2023

A split stitch design for a shirt, in the German style

I recently had a chance to make a collar panel for a friend's shirt as part of a collaborative project.

I used this pattern from 'Book of Embroidery: 1534', by Johan Schartzenberger, Woodcutter of Augsburg as my inspiration.

Time was short on this one, so I made some adjustments to make working the piece a bit faster.

The original woodcut is a bit wonky in places, as so many of the period embroidery designs are. I am always torn whether to alter the design to make it more symmetrical, or leave it as is. I altered some of the wonky bits, but left the majority of the design as it was published.

The base fabric is linen (donated by THL Sorcha - thank you). The embroidery is worked in split stitch with a bit of double running stitch. I traced the design onto the linen using a Frixion heat-removable marker and a light board.

 
 
 
Overall, and given the time restrictions, I am fairly happy with how this piece turned out. Now it has been passed onto the next person for making up.

Many thanks to THL Sorcha for donating the linen.









No comments:

Post a Comment