Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Italian-style Jerkin (Wearable Toile)

 A project that I worked on over a few months earlier in the year was making a pattern from an existing garment and making up a wearable toile. A friend wanted more of a style of loose jerkin that he likes, and I tried to puzzle it out. I lack drafting skills, so I was pleased to end up with something that he was happy to wear. I made two sleeve patterns and a pair of sleeves as well, so that removable sleeves can be added in a loose or more fitted style.


The jerkin being worn without the sleeves

I made the final toile up in a nice pale gold fabric that was originally a quilt cover. The lining is made from the lining of the quilt cover. The sleeves are made from the decorative panel that goes over the foot of the bed, and the jerkin is trimmed with commercially produced gimp braid.

No comments:

Post a Comment