Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Lemon Syrup

Having a respiratory infection, and lots of lemons, I was pleased to try this recipe:


SYRUP OF LEMON

"Take lemon, after peeling its outer skin, press it and take a ratl of juice, and add as much of sugar. Cook it until it takes the form of a syrup. Its advantages are for the heat of bile; it cuts the thirst and binds the bowels."

Recipe from 'An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the Thirteenth Century' found at  
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Andalusian/andalusian10.htm


Some quick Googling revealed that 1 ratl is approximately 468g.

I used 2 large lemons and 11 small lemons. Juicing these produced about 750ml of juice, which I added to a saucepan with the same amount of sugar.  I also threw in about a tablespoon or so of lemon peel which I peeled with a vegetable peeler. (I tried to avoid peeling off any of the bitter pith.)



I then brought the mix to a light boil, stirring regularly, and then let it all simmer until the mixture was no longer cloudy and thickened up a bit. After it had cooled, I strained the syrup to get a nice clear consistency. I ended up with around 700ml of undiluted cordial syrup.




I had hoped to try this syrup with hot water, but it was just so delicious and refreshing with cold water that none survived for a hot water taste test! I will certainly be making this recipe again for mundane and SCA use. If you like sweet/sour tastes, I think you will really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment